Keeping up with popular landscape trends can be difficult. So, we’ve put together the NALP annual forecast of what’s hot in the yard and landscape design plans.
Drawing upon the expertise of its 1 million landscape, lawn care, irrigation and tree care professionals, the National Association of Landscape Professionals annually predicts trends that will influence the design and maintenance of backyards across America in the year ahead.
“Homeowners yearn for beautiful outdoor spaces without the hassle of upkeep. With the rise of multi-functional landscape design and automated processes, consumers can spend more time enjoying their landscapes than ever before,” says Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs, NALP. “This year’s trends reflect current lifestyle preferences as well as innovations happening in the industry that are transforming landscape design plans across the country.”
NALP Predicts Five Popular Landscape Trends
- Two-in-one landscape design. Functional elements are no longer a perk, but rather a necessity in today’s landscapes, as consumers desire stunning outdoor features that have been cleverly designed to serve a dual tactical purpose. An edible vertical garden on a trellis that acts as a privacy fence, a retaining wall that includes built-in seating for entertaining, and colorful garden beds that divide properties all combine function and style in today’s popular landscape trends.
- Automated lawn and landscape maintenance. The latest technology and equipment allow tasks to be more streamlined and environmentally efficient than ever before. Robotic lawn mowers continue to rise in popularity among both homeowners and landscape professionals, and programmable irrigation systems and advanced lighting and electrical systems are a few ways outdoor spaces are becoming extensions of today’s smart homes. Homeowners relish knowing that these popular landscape trends and technological advancements afford them with more time to relax and enjoy their outdoor spaces.
- Pergolas. A staple of landscape design for years, pergolas constructed of wood or composite material are now becoming more sophisticated with major upgrades, including roll down windows, space heaters, lighting and sound systems. When paired with a luxury kitchen, seating area or fire feature, pergolas can become the iconic structure for outdoor sanctuaries and landscape design plans.
- Pretty in pink. Pops of coral and blush are anticipated to add a more feminine touch to popular landscape trends. With Living Coral named the Color of the Year by Pantone, a leading provider of color systems and an influencer on interior and exterior design, landscape professionals predict that this rich shade of pink could bring fresh blooms of roses, petunias, zinnias and hibiscus to flower beds. Experts also anticipate light blush tones to become “the new neutral” and another option for hardscapes and stone selections.
- Mesmerizing metals. Whether homeowners want a bold statement or whimsical touch, incorporating metals can bring new dimensions to these popular landscape trends. Used for decorative art, water features, or furniture and accessories, creative uses of metals including steel and iron can make for lovely accents or entire focal points.
CAD Pro allows anyone to share their landscape ideas and plans with clients, colleagues or professional landscape contractors using Dropbox®, Google Drive™, OneDrive®, and SharePoint®. Export files to Microsoft Word®, Excel®, and PowerPoint® with a single click.
CAD Pro has helped thousands of homeowners, professional designers, builders and contractors plan and design all types of landscape plans and designs. CAD Pro is used by NARI professional remodelers and contractors. CAD Pro is also used by NHBA home builders and contractors as well as the National Association of Landscape professionals.