CAD Pro offers this list of best home flooring advise when making your next flooring installation decisions. When choosing flooring, it’s imperative to think about several things: the room the flooring is going in, the type of foot traffic, wear and tear it will receive, the décor of the room and your budget. With so many things to factor in, it’s nice to know the pros and cons of each type of flooring.
Carpet – Best Home Flooring Advise
- Energy saver: Carpet can act like another layer of insulation and help keep cold or warm drafts from seeping through the floor.
- Feels great: It goes without saying that carpet is always going to be the softest of any type of flooring.
- Sound: Carpet helps to reduce sound and noises from one floor to the next and for this we’ve added carpet as one of the best home flooring advise choices.
- Durability: Manufacturers have advanced the wear, tear and durability of carpet for it to last longer with proper care.
- Maintenance: Regular vacuuming is needed (two days for high traffic areas) frequently. Spills need to be removed immediately to prevent staining and liquid to seep deep into fibers to cause mold and mildew. Carpets also need regular professional carpet cleaning to remove ground in dirt and grime.
Hardwood – Best Home Flooring Advise
- Value: An upgrade to hardwood flooringwill add a lot of value to your home.
- Durability: When hardwood floors are properly cared for, they will last a very long time. When the floors are worn down some, a little TLC can bring them back to their natural glory.
- Maintenance: Hardwood floors are easy to care for by sweeping or vacuuming them daily and wiping them with an approved wood cleaner.
- Variety: There are many different types of woods, stains and plank sizes. Hardwoods are one of the more popular best home flooring advise choices.
- Cost: Hardwood floors can be a substantial expense to have installed.
- Cold: They can be colder to the touch compared to other flooring options.
- Noise and not so pet-friendly: Every step that is taken on wood floors can be heard. Not to mention, furry friends can slip and slide because their padded feet can’t grip the shiny, smooth surface.
Laminate – Best Home Flooring Advise
- Installation: Many manufacturers make a “Click-Lock” design that makes it extremely easy to install. With laminate flooring, you should be able to use all the pieces in a box, unlike hardwood flooring products. Laminate is also one of the least expensive best home flooring advise choices.
- Cleanup: The protective layer on laminate helps protect it from something that would normally stain easily.
- Maintenance: Vacuum away loose dirt and debris and mop with a damp mop.
- Value: Laminate may look like hardwood but doesn’t have the same value.
- Feel: There are many negative ways people describe laminate flooring, “Loud, slippery, hard, etc.” Some laminate flooring can be very slippery, too.
- Maintenance: Laminate flooring is easily dented. Laminate flooring cannot be sanded or refinished. Areas with large scratches or gouges need to be replaced with new laminate flooring.
Luxury Vinyl Tile – Best Home Flooring Advise
- Design choices: There are many unique varieties of colors and designs, inspired by the colors and patterns found in nature. Tile can be grouted to make it look more like ceramic or stone.
- Quick installation: A typical installation can be completed in half the time it takes to complete a comparable ceramic tile installation.
- Durability: Luxury vinyl tile is highly durable and scratch-resistant, making it an excellent choice for heavy foot traffic areas.
- Feel: LVT is comparatively warmer to the touch than ceramic and other natural stones. It also absorbs sound and creates a more peaceful atmosphere.
- Maintenance: Regular sweeping, vacuuming and mopping can maintain this flooring for many years.
- Cost: Don’t think inexpensive vinyl flooring or “peel and stick” tiles. Luxury vinyl tile can cost as much as some standard hardwood or ceramic tile.
- Transitions: Manufacturers need to address transitions, as the only option right now is staining unfinished wood pieces to match.
Become an educated buyer when shopping for flooring and use these best home flooring advise tips when making your decisions. Don’t rely on big box stores and their associates to provide you with all the information you need. Many times, the products they sell are of lesser quality.
In order to become educated on quality flooring, it’s recommended you go to a reputable flooring showroom where all types (with many price points) are displayed. Associates at a “flooring only” store will be able to share their knowledge and help you choose the product that will suit your family, home, decor and lifestyle.
Design floor plans with professional results every time with the best floor plan designer on the market. Quickly create floor plans like a pro, Cad Pro is the leading source for designing for all types of floor plans. Creating and designing floor plans does not have to be difficult, Cad Pro provides quick placement of doors, windows, electrical outlets, switches, sinks and much more.
Share your floor plan designs with contractors, clients or team members using Dropbox®, Google Drive™, OneDrive®, and SharePoint®. Export them to Microsoft Word®, Excel®, PDF, or PowerPoint® with a single click.
“We use CAD Pro for designing floor plans, communicating with contractors, submitting building permits and customer presentations.”
B. Stevens, Home Designer, Phoenix, AZ ★★★★★
CAD Pro is used by NAHB contractors and companies.