According to the latest edition of NAHB’s study, What Home Buyers Really Want, out of the top home technology features, 46 percent of recent and prospective home buyers want a security camera in their home, more than any other home technology feature listed in the survey. The study is based on a survey that asks recent and prospective home buyers (people who bought homes in the previous three years or are planning to do so in the next three years) about the home security technology features that they would like in a home and a community. The information below shows the top 10 most wanted home technology features as well as the share of home buyers who currently have each particular feature.
CAD Pro has helped thousands of homeowners, professional designers, builders and contractors plan and design all types of home technology. CAD Pro is used by NARI professional remodelers and contractors. CAD Pro is also used by NHBA home builders and contractors.
Top Home Technology Features for Home Buyers
– 46% of home buyers would like to have a security camera.
– 21% currently have security cameras.
– 45% of home buyers would like to have a video doorbell.
– 12% currently have a video doorbell.
– 44% of home buyers would like to have a programmable thermostat.
– 41% currently have a programmable thermostat.
Wireless Home Security System:
– 40% of home buyers would like to have a wireless home security system.
– 18% currently have a wireless home security system.
Multi-Zone HVAC System:
– 39% of home buyers would like to have a multi-zone HVAC system.
– 11% currently have a multi-zone HVAC system.
The first five products listed above are the most desired of the top home technology features for home buyers.
Lighting Control System:
– 36% of home buyers would like to have a lighting control system.
– 14% currently have a lighting control system.
Wireless Home Audio System:
– 33% of home buyers would like to have a wireless home audio system.
– 12% currently have a wireless home audio system.
Central Vacuum System:
– 33% of home buyers would like to have a central vacuum system.
– 10% currently have a central vacuum system.
Energy Management System/Display:
– 31% of home buyers would like to have an energy management system/display.
– 6% currently have an energy management system/display.
Smart Washer and Dryer (controlled remotely):
– 31% of home buyers would like to have smart washers and dryers (remotely controlled).
– 8% currently have an energy management system/display.
These smart home gadgets let you do things such as turn your lights on using your smartphone, stream music to a speaker using Google Smart Home products, lock your doors remotely, clean your house, and much more.
The information above also shows that three of the four top home technology features are security-related: along with a security camera, a video doorbell and a wireless home security technology system are wanted by at least 40 percent of home buyers. However, at most 21 percent of home buyer currently have any one of these technology features installed, indicating that there is market growth potential for these items. In contrast, about the same share of home buyers who want a programmable thermostat (44%) have one already installed (41%).
Four other home technology features are desired by at least a third of buyers: a multi-zone HVAC system (39 percent), a lighting control system (36 percent), and a wireless home audio system and central vacuum system (both wanted by 33 percent of home buyers). An energy management system/display and a smart washer/dryer (controlled remotely) are wanted by 31 percent of home buyers each. Few home buyers currently have any of these items (14 percent of home buyers at most), which also indicates that there is room for growth in these top home technology features and product areas.
Cad Pro is an affordable and easy alternative to other more expensive design software programs. Cad Pro is great for creating mechanical drawings, technical drawings, electrical drawings, construction details, and much more. Anyone can start their new home technology design project with CAD Pro.
CAD Pro allows you to share your ideas and plans with clients, colleagues or professional remodeling contractors using Dropbox®, Google Drive™, OneDrive®, and SharePoint®. Export files to Microsoft Word®, Excel®, and PowerPoint® with a single click.